Tuesday, September 09, 2008
Ten Things Tuesday
Booger and I went drove to Cleveland Saturday to attend a birthday party for the son of a dear friend. Driving home late at night, with Booger asleep in the backseat, I listened to showtunes to stay awake. I've loved musicals for as long as I can remember. I attended the local high school shows as a young child and was always mesmerized how they transformed the stage into a whole new place. In High School I was active in the theater and am proud to report I was even Student Director my senior year! (It was for Annie and I loved it!)

I thought I'd list 10 musicals that I've seen in person or been a part of. There are more than 10, but I'll keep it to my favorites!

1. Annie
I was the student director of this production my senior year in high school. I love the music, love the kids, love the dog.....just love it!

2. Phantom of the Opera
I've seen this 3 times (twice in Toronto). I remember the first time I saw it, I cried during the whole second act because I had never seen anything so powerful.

3. Fiddler of the Roof
This is such a lovely story with some really funny dry humor.

4. Spamalot
I have never laughed so hard as I did through this entire production.

5. Les Miserables
So moving. Such a big stage show.

6. Sound of Music
I really enjoyed the costuming in this show. The entire family dressed with drapes!

7. Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
My nieces were in this production a few years ago. It's a great kid-friendly show.

8. Cats
I didn't love this. I wanted to. I just didn't.

9. Seussical the musical
Pretty cute, not great substance-wise, but cute.

10. The King and I
I totally love this story.

Do you love musicals? Which ones??

Labels:



3 Comments:

Blogger Kizz said...

Give us 10 more!

You know, I've seen a lot of musicals, I love them, I've studied the history of the musical, hell I've seen the SEQUEL to Best Little Whorehouse in TX (so bad, so very bad) but I don't think I've ever seen Joseph. I've listened to it a lot but I've never seen it. How weird. I don't think I've ever seen Godspell either, though I could sing you the entire soundtrack.

I've been missing Pippin lately, might need to get the soundtrack.

Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

I can't really say that I love musicals. They just don't do it for me.

That being said, I can tell you that Mr. Chili really loves to sing, at the top of his lungs, the first line (or a line from a chorus) of show tunes. His favorites?

"Sit DOWN, John!"
"The corn is as high as an elephant's EYE!!"
"Sunrise...sunset"
"It's not so much a question of not knowing what to do... I've known what's right and wrong since I was ten..."

It makes me crazy.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved Phantom, but in terms of heart-rending, emotional churning, Les Mis made we weep each of the three times I've seen it. I haven't see Fiddler (Bad Jewish Person!), but I have seen Cats and I totally agree that its hype vastly overshadowed its merits, but SPAMALOT made me hyperventilate with laughter..
"there's a very small percentile that enjoys a dancing Gentile..." I have the entire soundtrack permanently installed on my brain!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer