Wednesday, September 03, 2008
College tales and and update
This post is directed toward Chili and O'Mama. I have to take a Comp II class for my major. I decided I could do this class online. I don't have trouble forming sentences and know the difference between a noun and a verb. If we're being honest, I thought it would be an easy A. Sadly, this class sucks. We have to work on 2 different collaborative assignments. Yes, that's right. An online class with collaborative work. Maybe I'm just out of the loop, but this completely pisses me off. Why should my grade be directly tied to someone else's work? The group members live all over the area, one as far as 90 minutes away, so it's not like we can get together for coffee and work on the project. Grr. What's the point of collaborative work, especially for an online class?

An update about the choking incident. I spoke to Booger's teacher yesterday. She let me know that the other child was "sent home with red," meaning his parents were notified of the incident. We had a lengthy conversation about many things and I am pleased she is Booger's teacher. Booger and I talked about the boy in question and how to remove yourself from situations you don't wish to be in. For example, boy chases girl. Girl does not wish to be chased. Girl then stands still. It's hard to chase someone who's not running! :-)

Thanks for your kind words....they helped calm my nerves more than you might realize.

Labels: ,



3 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

I wish I could help you, but I'm afraid that I have nothing to offer on this one. Maybe go see Steve at The Hygiene Chronicles - he does a fair bit of collaborative stuff (and, I think - but I'm not sure - that he does some of it online).

I HATE collaborative work for grades, and for just the reasons you say, so I don't assign it, myself. I think that peer workshopping and critique is INCREDIBLY helpful, but collaborative projects and work sucks. I hated it as a student and so I refuse to assign it as an instructor. My suggestion would be to just do the best you can in the situation - which isn't helpful at all, I know, but it's all I've got.

Blogger The Grammar Snob said...

It is helpful. I thought maybe I was being a brat....

:-)

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with Chili here - I loathe it myself as I have to see a balanced assignment where each collaborator is judged solely for the merits or lack thereof of THEIR work. Not especially helpful to you, my friend, but I offer up the advice you already follow - do your best, stand out (as if you wouldn't) and make sure to alert your teacher if anyone is bailing.
If you all live far apart, are you having to collaborate via email? Sigh. Try to get through it with a smile and mock it mercilessly on your blog!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer