Sunday, November 26, 2006
Gobble Gobble

Thanksgiving is one of those times when I don'’t know whether to laugh or cry. From the outside looking in, what I go through is hilarious. But, from my perspective…I keep looking for the hidden camera because I just KNOW I'’m ending up on Candid Camera. The Brown family (that's a reference to their Filipino coloring, not their actual name) never needs a reason to gather, eat, and gossip. When they have a reason, though? Boo howdy you better watch out. There is more food, more rice, more caffeine free Diet Coke (sigh - what I would give for my mother-in-law to remember to buy the silver kind, not the gold kind) can you can even imagine. Also, the Senior Citizen bad karaoke brigade. Floor rattling, so loud your ears bleed karaoke. It's so bad that next time I'm going to bring my old dresser and plop it in the middle of the room so the layers of paint will come right off, saving me hours of stripping.

The White family turkey consumption was on Saturday. We have a thing. We eat the same thing every holiday. The SAME thing. The only variable is the meat. I'’ll lay it out for you (Mrs. Chili, I'’m laying, not lying :-) ). Christmas and Easter is ham. Thanksgiving is turkey. The rest of the meal is as follows:
Mashed potatoes
Candied sweet potatoes
Green bean casserole (which I will not touch for anything, except maybe Bradley Whitford showing up at my door having lost his clothes on the way.)
Corn
Rolls

Pie - pumpkin on Thanksgiving, Apple any other time.

This is the menu. One does not deviate from the menu or much drama ensues. One year, my mom made - get this - – macaroni salad for Easter. My sister and I launched a mutiny of epic proportions. Macaroni salad instead of mashed potatoes?! Oh my dear, no. It is just not done. No no no.

So, my friends, Thanksgiving has come and gone. I am thankful for many things. My family, batshit craziness and all. I am so thankful for my friends. Those especially who take the time to support you when you are hurting. Who sacrificed much more time than they had anticipated just sitting quietly with me at the funeral home. Passing a Kleenex, lending a shoulder, or just silently being there, no need to say anything, just comforting me with their presence. I am thankful for my health, and vow to take better care of it. I am thankful for my sense of humor, – even when I am the only one laughing. I am thankful for good television, good weather, and perhaps most of all...I am thankful for my new hair dryer! I promise to tell you THAT story very soon!



2 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

"I'll lay it out for you (Mrs. Chili, I'm laying, not lying :-) )"

GOOD GIRL!! That's it, EXACTLY! I'm so PROUD of you!

This was a GOOD post (though I've got to disagree on two things - I like the gold kind, and I'm rather fond of what we here in our household call "white trash caserole - green beans in condensed soup and french fried onions. I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but I love the stuff!).

I'm so sorry for your loss, but glad to see that you can get around it long enough to see all the wonder you have in your life. Oh, and you can still do funny...

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you making fun of Bats with your "Batshit" comment?

I am Bat Man

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer