Tuesday, November 06, 2007
Election Day
I love election day. It makes me feel so valuable. On election day we decide who will govern our city and country. Who will pay for the librarians, the buses, the leaf collection. And today in my fine city, we are voting on strippers. Yes. For real. We will decide if strippers...er, exotic entertainment....can conduct business after midnight. Not prostitutes, just dancers. I don't know why but it pisses me off. Now, I'm not a stripper and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but who the hell am I to tell them their pole will turn into a pumpkin at midnight? It's their job. Let them do it. Clearly there is a market for it, otherwise we wouldn't be deciding if they can do it. Now there are many people out there...decency police if you will...who will tell me it's an abomination to allow exotic dancers to do their thing. But guess what? If I don't want to see them I don't have to enter their club. It's that easy. Just as if I don't want my daughter listening to gangster rap, I can change the channel. And seriously? Stripping at 11:00 is so much more moral than stripping at midnight? Whatever.


5 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Don't you just LOVE bureaucracy? This is what people in our government are sitting around thinking about - and getting paid to do it. Sheesh.

Blogger Lanie said...

I don't care what they do behind closed doors, but is would be really nice if they didn't advertise so blatantly on the local radio stations. I have to resort to "easy listening" unless I want to answer my first-grader's questions about "Hot nude women with enormous hooters" here in Toledo!

Blogger The Grammar Snob said...

Lanie,
That's a great point and one that I didn't think of since I listen to XM radio. I don't have a problem with some sort of advertising regulation. Thanks for commenting!

Chili,

Right on, sister. As always!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not in your city, but any business should have access to advertising... let alone business after dark. I have a small child and think that even my radio station's content is too mature for my son. When considering a lot of music today, easy listening is the station we should resort to in order to keep our kids from hearing content that we might not think is appropriate. Commercials and the songs themselves.

Even the non-music stations of my Sirius radio has advertisements for those male enhancers and his and her items you can discretely order.

It is up to us to protect our children... Our radio stations don't consider the first and even my third grader's demographic when putting advertisements on the radio. They're targeting the valuable 18-34 and getting some extra people in the outlying age groups. If that's me with my son and I choose to listen, I have to be quick on the draw to turn the volume down.

But that's not part of the subject you originally started... I Still think a business has the right to do business after midnight.

Blogger Kizz said...

My mother used to say about curfews that anything you can do after midnight you can do just as well before midnight so they're pointless. I think the same logic applies to putting a closing time on "exotic entertainment establishments" but I know there are a lot of people who don't get that.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer