Monday, January 07, 2008
I'm a living commercial
Student ID no charge
Parking Pass $20.00
Tuition $915.00
Textbooks $454.97
Assorted supplies $12.00
The feeling of finally getting on with getting a college degree: PRICELESS

I can't tell you how excited I am to start school. I can tell you that it is simply a travesty that textbooks cost more than half as much as tuition. MORE THAN HALF. What a ripoff. I begin class this week. Anatomy & Physiology (and lab) Saturday 8:00A.M. - 2:50 P.M. General Psychology Sunday 6:30 P.M. - 9:50 P.M.

I have an appointment in a few weeks to see if I can get some cash from the county for education as I am considered a "displaced worker." Basically, the office of unemployment has grant money that I may qualify for to educate me in a different field since I haven't found work comparable to the job I lost last May. I am just happy there might be money out there for me. You know? I have to speak to the financial aid office on campus, but the line was too long today. Generally, I wouldn't qualify for federal aid as my 2007 income will show my job up until May, then my severance and my unemployment. Sadly, that's all run out....so I need some "special circumstance" form or something. Whatever, please just help me pay!!!

This fresh start is exactly what I need. I feel better already. Of course that could be the steroid injection I received at the doctor's office this morning. I've been experiencing some strange leg pain that may or may not be related to a back/nerve/voodoo doll issue. Whatever. With the steroid injection, I would imagine I could get a job on a baseball team, so there's another option!

I haven't said much about R and Life, v. 2.0 lately. He's pretty much healed and running regularly on the treadmill - outside if it's tolerable. His blood pressure is still a bit high, so they've been playing with dosages on the buffet of meds he takes. His pain comes and goes. He tells me that he can feel the nerves reconnecting or something in his chest. Like little shocks every now and then. He has some numbness near his adam's apple region, but that's kind of it. He is embarrassed by his scars, but I think they are sexy. And believe me, whenever I have a rough day, I can glance at his scars and remember that guess what? THOSE were bad days. This current day that I'm in? Suddenly not so bad.

I feel like I'm coming out of my fog. I think I just needed a good kick in the ass. A birthday, a new year, and a fresh start in college seem to be just that kick.

I hope you are all well. How are your resolutions coming? I'm working on my official list. Haven't finalized it just yet.

Labels: , ,



8 Comments:

Blogger Kizz said...

You are working this fresh start business like a champ! Congratulations on getting back in the pool.

Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

YAY, You! I mean that - I'm really, really happy for you!

I'm sorry about the textbooks. When I find out how much my kids pay for their books, I make a point of actually USING the damned things, even if I DO think they're essentially useless...

Do keep us updated, please; I'm eager to experience this with you!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why not buy textbooks from online bookstore to save money? I get 2 textbooks from a online bookstore and save more than $250. All textbooks there are BRAND NEW. That's great. You may go to the web to see any help.

http://www.cocomartini.com/

Blogger Unknown said...

I am so happy for you!
When I went to McGill for my BA way back at the dawn of time, my books cost FAR more than tuition. I remember paying (1989) something like 85 bucks for a big Lit book and wanting to scream. I am quite sure you'll be using your Anat and Phys books and the Bio ones and you know what? They'll come in handy later in life. They should - they are an investment!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Urk: I am also O'Mama. Do not look at the woman behind the curtain...

Blogger Karen Jensen said...

Yay school! I wish you were my student--at least I could buy you a margarita at the end of the term!

Blogger Lanie said...

I hope you can find a cheaper source of textbooks next quarter! A lot of times you can get them online at half the price if you know far enough ahead of time. Good luck with school! learn! learn! learn!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't just dip your toe in, you dive right in, don't you? Good luck, although I know you won't need it! It's only up from here, baby!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer