Monday, January 14, 2008
Tales of a 35 year old Freshman
I survived my first weekend of classes! I certainly wasn't home much: Saturday class from 8-3, then work from 5:30-9:30. Sunday work from 12:30-4:30, then class from 6:30-9:50. 3 classes total and I think I'll really enjoy all of them. Saturday morning was Anatomy & Physiology lecture followed by the A&P Lab. Sunday night's my Psych class. I refrained from asking the professor if he could help me to not check the stove 6 times before I go to bed. Maybe later on in the semester....

I was not the oldest student in any of the classes, which was a huge relief. My Psych class requires quite a bit of reading and 5 two-page papers, along with a longer yet-to-be-determined research paper. A&P has reading as well, but not as much.

One of my biggest regrets is blowing my college opportunity after high school. I was a smart kid in high school. Naturally smart, though. Never really studied for anything. I went to class, took notes, re-read them once or twice and managed the honor roll. I never pushed for more. I was content to just show up and succeed. When I went off to college, a pretty large state college, I got in over my head pretty quickly. I had no study skills and with no one but myself to answer to, well....I simply decided to have fun. I did not succeed in college and left, tail between my legs a year or so later, with a mere 9 credits toward graduation.

I've always wanted to go back and finish. For myself. For my parents. Now for R and Booger. I need to do this. I AM doing this. I am so damn excited that I can't stop smiling.

Labels:



7 Comments:

Blogger Kizz said...

Excited is good. I'm so glad that you're still excited.

Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

I'm thrilled for you and I have every confidence that you're going to kick some serious ass as a college student.

Two things concern me, though. First, you SHOULD want to do this for you. You're going to get the most out of it if you're motivated by what YOU want.

Second - senior citizen student?! You're 35 (and BARELY 35 at that). Granted, you're not the typical 19 year old, but you're not ready for a walker and bingo just yet....

I'm just sayin'

Blogger Lanie said...

You go girl! And hey, since t here isn't enough for you to do, you've been tagged http://laniepainie.blogspot.com/

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Proud of you!!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you're enjoying yourself! And I second mrs. chili...senior citizen status at 35? I'm older missy! Should I beat you with my cain? LOL!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I WAS your age when I started my Masters degree and I was also thrilled not be the oldest in my classes. I am so pleased you're excited, engaged and ready to rock. Now, go do your homework!!
Thanks for the lovely words over at my place, btw - meant a lot.

Blogger Karen Jensen said...

Congratulations! I love returning students. I was one myself (got my BA a week before my 40th birthday). School rocks, doesn't it?

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer