Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Ten Things
I'm inspired by Chili's ten things this week. She collects, or has, or enjoys dragonflies. I collect, or have, or enjoy way too many different things. It's part of my, uh, freak. Also, my OCD, but the OCD police call it hoarding and I'm offended by that because I do not get paid to keep this crap. Oh, they don't mean whoring? My bad. Too much NY news in my head, I suppose. (rimshot, please. Thank you, I'll be here all week, don't forget to tip your waitress.) (On that note, here's the best line of that whole news cycle: Sptizer Swallow?) (Okay, I'm done.)

Anyway, as I was trying to sleep last night I remembered I forgot (?) to write a TTT. While trying to think of what to write, I wondered if I could come up with 10 things I collect. It was much too easy to do. I'm a bit embarrassed. Ah, well....here's the list.

1. Dolphins - Figurines, not actual live dolphins. They don't like the soap scum on my tub. I'm not sure when the collecting started, but it was in my teens. Then, for many many years that seemed to be the only gift I ever received from anyone ever. Finally, about 10 years ago I said ENOUGH ALREADY. I love them so much they are in a box somewhere in the garage.

2. Make Up - Why can't I throw away that blue eyeshadow? WHY?!?!?!

3. Books - I have so many and I know there are many I'll never read a second time. I'm holding out hope for built in bookshelves or a *gasp* library room.

4. Black shoes. Chunky heeled black loafers, strappy heels, satin pumps, comfy flats, mules, you name it.

5. Clothes that I don't wear or that don't fit. My closet is full. So full I can never find anything. I would guess I don't wear 75% of what's in there. Maybe 65% if I keep the fancy digs that only get dusted off once and a while. Every time I sort through and bag up stuff, I feel like it's a total waste of money and feel guilty and promise to wear it. Then I never ever wear it. Help.

6. Hair styling products. Holy Mother I am such a sucker for new hair stuff.

7. Sharpie markers. I have probably 3 dozen. But I don't want to talk about it.

8. Handbags. I inherited this from my Granny. I love me some purses. This is the one I'm currently coveting.

9. Cookbooks. This should have it's own category because they're kept in a different place. I keep them on a shelf in the dining room. There are 11 up there. I have such grand plans for those cookbooks, but usually just cook the same old stuff. Why is that? Oh, I know - I always forget to buy the ingredients I need. Duh.

10. Music. R and I planned to import or CD collection onto an external hard drive. We completed a handful, but I just can't part with the actual CD. What if the EHD crashes and I am without a copy of my favorite obscure 80's songs?

What do you collect??

Labels:



5 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Oh, I could go ON and ON about the books. I have a collection of handbags, too, most of which I don't use all that often. I've got four cats, too - does that count as a "collection"?

Blogger Kizz said...

Oh I identify with so much of this. I was starting a small collection of red glass vases and stuff to go on a particular shelf but the cats had a game of tag last night and broke half of it.

If you'd like to get rid of some of your collections but not be responsible for it I can lend you my cats. They will claw up your shoes, pee on your clothes and "accidentally" smash all your dolphins as long as you place the dolphins carefully on a very high shelf.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tried to read your blog but got lost in the OCD component. I am so with you. Next time I try to "dust the place" I'm just going to get a compressor and blow the dust off.

We have a seven room house and five of them are filled with bookshelves and crap. I hope I die first so that she has to deal with all of it!
Not any time soon, but eventually? It is criminal to have this many books. Really.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh, I have to say that should you come over to my house or I to yours, we would find some scary similarities. To whit: black shoes, clothes to keep the handers company, makeup (although I have punted the older than my kids stuff, but I keep buying crap I don't bloody need. As for books, I have so many books I have every intention of reading before I die, if my dieing is WAAAAY in the future. This summer I am determined to read at least one book a week, because I really have enough...

I collect books, pens (oy), earrings (although I have got that one under control, mostly) and books, mostly.

Cool list!

Btw, THANK YOU for your fab comment on my crazed monkey list - so much appreciated. Have I mentioned lately how much I appreciate you???

Blogger Wayfarer said...

While I have a house chock-a-block full of crap, there is not a real theme to any of it, except that it is stuff I have, or hope to, use for some project or other. I have a library full of books and teaching resources (too many of which I've not read) and a basement woodshop full of tools (too many of which I don't take the time to use), but I've largely given up the desire to simply collect. I've had to move way too many times in my life, so if it's not something I think has some pragmatic value, I'll leave it on the shelf nowadays.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer