Thursday, May 01, 2008
It's been a good week
Hey there! How've you been? I have missed you terribly. I'll be catching up on reading, so watch for comments that are probably too old to be relevant to whatever you had going on. Except this: Kizz, did you email him yet?

I'm still waiting for one official grade, but I'm confident enough (mostly) to talk about it. I swear on all that is Holy that I do not mean to cross the Karma Gods.....but I've seen the grade on paper, just need to see in on the computer....please...post it soon. Amen.

Okay, so. Finals. Let me start by saying I had an A locked up in Psych barring some catastrophic final grade. Each of my classes had about a 50 point allowance before you'd get a B. Going into the Psych final, I was only down 7 points for the semester. Yes, I know. Nerd. The final was 100 questions, each worth 2 points. 100 multiple choice questions takes much longer to answer than you might think. It was open book, and as is my history with open book exams, it was hard. I missed only 5, so that's 10 points. So, in Psych - I nailed an A by a large margin. I shall only brag briefly, but believe me friends, there will be bragging. It is selfish, I know, but I have worked HARD for these grades, so yes.....there will be bragging. I might brag all weekend in fact. I'm sure you all guessed I'd get an A in Psych....crazy knows crazy!

Anatomy & Physiology was another story. I had a bad week in A&P a few weeks ago and scored horribly on an exam in both lab and lecture. This put me way too close to a B going into finals. We had both a lab and lecture final. Our lecture professor really enjoyed our class and agreed to meet for a last-ditch study effort the night before the final. This helped me so much that I, uh, aced the lecture final. Yes, 100%! Can you effing believe it? I still can't. It makes me smile just thinking of it. The professor had a key up front so we could take a quick look to see how we did since many of us were heading straight into our lab final. Looking at the key is how I know I scored a hundred....this is the official score I'm waiting for. Anyway, that really helped calm me down heading into the lab final because I knew I had about 15 points to give in that final and still pull out an A.

The A&P lab final is known as the bone test. It sucks ass. Basically, we learn all the bones in the body and the parts of said bones. 200+bones and terms. Also, we learn them out of context...off the skeleton if you will. We enter the room with a piece of paper numbered 1-40 and work our way around the stations writing down what each is. It could be the whole bone - Humerus. It could be a feature of the bone - Anatomical neck of Humerus. You need to know it and the whole wording as it is in our text. There is no word bank, no multiple choice. Just you, the bone, and a blank piece of paper. It's totally mental and totally designed to be that way. Let's not fool ourselves, it's a weed-out class. It's the first science class you take for any of the science/health fields and if you can't cut this one, there's no use trying something more advanced.

I was a nervous wreck entering that room. I didn't think I could pull the names out of thin air. I knew them....or at least most of them....but was not at all confident that I could do it without a word bank. We entered the room and were told to pick a spot. I found one I knew so that I could start off positively. As we moved around the room, I realized that I really did know them! Holy crap, I was doing it!!! I only missed 4 out of 40!!!! I was so proud of myself I didn't stop smiling the whole day!

I got accepted into the RN program at my school, so I won't have to transfer! I have to submit a re-eval request in the fall for an earlier admission date, but holy hell, just to get accepted is a huge step in the right direction!

Oh, and today? I got a job!

Holy hell, it's been a good week! I'll be catching up on your blogs now....hope you all had a good week as well.

Labels:



8 Comments:

Blogger Backpacking Dad said...

Congratulations!

Blogger Kizz said...

Holy Good Week Batman! That is 7 different shades of awesome.

I'm working on my e-mail. Planning to send it before I leave town tomorrow. Thanks for the push!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done. I'm very impressed. I remember the crossing of everything crossable while waiting for my grades. Congratulations.

As a point of interest (or not), I came here through Dad Gone Mad and DeeDee. I'm lagging behind in the commenting race...so off I go.

Blogger Lanie said...

You go girl!

Where you gonna be working?

Blogger Unknown said...

The only way to go is up from here! Congrats on such a great week!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, good on ya', we all knew that you could and would do so well. You are NOT the average student. I don't think I know you in person but I have older female friends that have gone your route in the past few years and let me tell you, they were no slouches and you aren't either. Good work, keep it going.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

FAN flipping TASTIC!!!

Oh my gosh, I am sorry I have not been here sooner, but YAY you!!! SO excited for your amazing momentum. Seriously, when you decided to make some changes for yourself, you weren't kidding. Grinning.

More about the job!

Blogger DeeDee said...

Way to go! That "crazy knows crazy" line hooked me. I'll definitely be back. I'm a psych nerd here!

By the way, I found your blog through DadGoneMad. I've posted a complete list of everyone who left their blog link in a post called Blog Rolling With My Homies over on my blog, so if you want to see it come on over and sit a spell. I don't bite..…that hard anyway!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer