Tuesday, May 06, 2008
Ten Things Tuesday
Sunday will be the 1 year anniversary of losing my job. So many things have happened in this year. I learned quite a bit about myself and the people in my life. For today's list, I think I'd like to talk about the people who helped me get through this year. Now, please....there's only room for 10, so if I've left you out, it's only because I ran out of space, not because I don't love you.

1. R - of course. He's my everything.
2. Ness - we live 2 hours apart, but I talk to her usually twice a day. She knows me like few do and knows all of my quirks, even the ones I don't admit to having.
3. J - my buddy who moved halfway across the world a couple weeks ago to attend med school. Our friendship is an unlikely one, yet, it is there and a great source of happiness in my life.
4. J - the other one. He sat with me during R's surgery and simply radiated the calm that I so desperately needed. He is quiet most of the time, but possesses a wicked sense of humor and makes me laugh every single time we speak.
5. D - he ran the half marathon with Roy because I asked him to. Just that simple. Because I asked him to. He's the guy you call when you can't call anyone else. He has such an aura of positive energy that he practically lights up the room when he enters it.
6. M - oh, M. She and I have become very close. She's the wife of the #4 J and I simply can't imagine how we've not been friends our whole lives because it sure feels like it.
7. My e-buddies - these wonderful, powerful women have encouraged me to write, to tell my story, to share my sense of humor. We exchange powerful energy....the kind you need to live....and yet, they've never seen my face. I care about these women and they care about me and that is something I don't take for granted.
8. My nieces and pseudo nieces - there are 7 of them and they bring such light to my life. As they grow older and become more independent, I'm continually astounded with the level of trust they have with me. I'm thankful that I can be a source of advice for them and, in turn, they always always make me smile.
9. Booger - without this spirited 6 year old, my life would simply be black and white and all kinds of dull. She brings the color into it and I swear to make sure she knows it every single day.
10. Me - this may sound shallow and self -absorbed, but I promise you it is not meant to be. I surprised myself this year. I have much more control over my life than I once thought. I also learned this year if I want to make something happen, I have the power to do it. I am strong. I am intelligent. I am a fierce and loyal friend. I am a mother. A wife. A daughter. I am a success and damn it feels really good to be able to say that and actually believe it!

Labels: ,



7 Comments:

Blogger Kizz said...

I was surprised to see myself here so I was composing a comment in my head while I read the rest of the list and it went a lot like what you wrote about yourself. So, not selfish or self absorbed at all, just right. You have kicked ass this year and you should get as much credit as you can wring out of it.

Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Nothing shallow or self absorbed about it - you had to be a particular kind of woman to get through what you've been through and come out the other end upright, breathing in and out, and capable of not only self-investigation, but also of gratitude. A lesser woman would be bitter and would have refused to learn anything, but not you. You're much more than you were when you started, and I am so, SO proud of you.

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My lordy what you've withstood, internalized and used as growth opportunities! Honestly, this is YOUR space to reflect - eloquently, as usual - about the joys and challenges and isn't it fabulous when we surprise ourselves? There bloody well SHOULD be such joy in self-discovery.

Love you

Blogger The Mrs. said...

I love what you have said about yourself. If every woman, upon waking up each morning, said those same things out loud can you even imagine what the world would be like? We would move mountains, no doubt about that.

Congratulations on all you've accomplished!

PS - Found you via Dee Dee's list of DGM readers. Hi!

Blogger Heather said...

I love self-affirming posts like this!

Blogger Erin said...

Sounds like you have surrounded yourself with some great people!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Out of a job and things couldn't be worse, huh. Not likely. Just when it seems scary and couldn't get worse? It does. Murphy's law or something like it. But the loss of job meant that you got to spend time with R and all of his very serious surgery and recovery. And then there were those fears for R running in the half marathon? Sister, you got through it all and from here on in can say "if this is as bad as it gets, we are golden". That's a high praise answer to what life has handed you and what you have discovered about yourself. Welcome to the woman you are becoming. You're probably too young to have had to go through all of this but you've done it well.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer