Tuesday, May 20, 2008
Ten Things Tuesday
Politics edition. Most of you know that I'm a politics junkie. With the sad, sad news about Ted Kennedy, the Senator from Massachusetts, I thought I'd list 10 things I'm currently thinking about that are politics related.

1. Ted Kennedy is a great senator. I'm too young to remember the time when he was accused of not being a great man, though my mother has told me about it. As a liberal democrat, though, I applaud him. He has championed for many issues I hold near and dear.

2. I don't think I'll ever get over my utter dislike for our current president. I have a "Bush Lied" sticker on my back window and I'm not sure I'll ever remove it.

3. I think Geraldine Ferraro is full of crap.

4. I wish Hillary Clinton would graciously step aside. She could do so with dignity and it could unite the Democrats in a way that, I think, is desperately needed.

5. I have a wee little crush on Anderson Cooper.

6. Fine - I also have a wee little crush on Keith Olbermann. That crush started many years ago when he hosted the Big Show on ESPN. Now focusing on news and politics has made him much hotter.

7. I hope my state once again is key in deciding the presidential election, only THIS YEAR, I'd really love to have it swing the same direction as my vote!

8. My brother in law stands as far right as I do left, but we are able to discuss politics without yelling and/or getting mad at each other. I wish more people were like that.

9. If you don't vote, you don't get to complain.

10. Booger knows who the democratic candidates are and who I am voting for. She's quite young to express an interest, so she likes Barack Obama because I do. Once the national campaign begins, she'll learn who John McCain is. I hope she grows up to be interested, informed and active.

How do you feel about politics? Do you talk about it with your friends over lunch or is it off-limits? Many of my conversations with friends at least touch on politics, but I'm pretty sure we're not the norm.

Labels:



4 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

I don't make a point of talking politics, but I AM involved enough to know what's going on (being an NPR junkie will do that to you).

Funny story - Punkin' informed me a few months ago that when she's 18, she's NOT going to vote. She was rooting around for one of my buttons - it was a blatant attempt at trying to start a fight. I saw clear through it (who wouldn't? It was an out-of-the-blue comment) and didn't engage her. "Ok," I said, "grown-ups get to make that choice, too." You could SEE the wind fall out of her sails...

Blogger Heather said...

I avoid politics, but I have a friend who ALWAYS has to talk about it. And she is a conspiracy theorist, and the "debates" we have always leave me questioning her sanity. She said she will walk every where she has to if gas gets expensive because she supports us being in Iraq. Then when the gas got up to $4 a gallon, she said people need to "strike" and not buy gas. Blah blah blah. =P

Blogger Kizz said...

I don't think anything can unite the democratic party and I'm not 100% convinced that either of their candidates can beat McCain. I hate that.

I actually usually try not to talk politics. I don't know a ton about it and so many of the layers of it are fake talk and end-justifies-the-means stuff that I don't feel like any talk will help it.

I'm discouraged politically I guess. I'm really proud of my best friend, though. She saw something that looked funny in her town budget so she did a little internet research, asked the school board some questions and then educated her neighbors about the half-truths they were being told to get them to agree to a budget that would increase their taxes more than THREE TIMES the reported percentage.

Blogger zztopdog said...

I totally agree with your 10 Things - even the Anderson Cooper part!
Talking politics sort of depends on the friends. If I know we are polar opposites politically, I will not start the conversation; but I won't let negative comments go unanswered either.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer