Monday, August 06, 2007
Harry, oh my sweet Harry
I've been struggling a bit lately. While I always thought I appreciated everything R did around here, I'm not sure I really got it until now. We've always had a very equal relationship. We share household duties and while there are certain things he usually does (the lawn) and things I usually do (pay bills), we overlap and swap most of the everyday things that a home requires. He is just as likely to make dinner as I, or do the dishes. Yes, I am the envy of many of my friends who are not fortunate enough to live in this type of environment. I always say thank you and try to relay to him how much I appreciate it. To him, though, it's just how it works. He doesn't see it as going above and beyond, just, well, doing his part. Now that he is physically restricted from doing most anything, I'm handling most everything. I am not angry or bitter about it, I swear. I mean, Jesus Christ, he lived. How can I possibly complain about having to do the stupid dishes again. Right? So, this is why I'm struggling. I'm just plain spoiled. I'm not used to doing more than half of the stuff around here. Doing it all is just challenging. My hats off to those of you who do that all the time. I seriously don't know how you do it.

Tonight, I spent a couple hours paying bills and sorting through piles of crap in the office. Now that I'm not working (my old job was home-based), I'm determined to organize the office in such a way that it is conducive to being on the computer, or paying bills, or writing a letter, anything. We've never had the luxury of this as my work stuff was everywhere. I'm more than half way completed with this little project and it feels really good.

Yesterday, I was feeling a little overwhelmed. R felt well enough to stay home with Booger for a few hours so I took my nieces to see Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I'd seen it at the midnight premiere, but wanted to see it again. (yes, I am a Harry Potter dork.) Picked them up and headed to the mid-afternoon showing. Tickets, soda, popcorn, nachos, and pretzels in hand we headed into the theater. Harry Potter is a younger generation saga, yes. Except Order of the Phoenix falls at a time in which Harry is roughly 16 and facing some very dark times. Each book gets darker and more adult - I'm sure you can agree. And if you've seen the movie, I'm guessing you'd agree with me that the PG-13 rating is pretty spot on. So, what the hell were the people behind me thinking when they brought their 4 year old to see this movie?? NO, I AM NOT KIDDING. Not only did he talk the whole time, he burped. Loudly. Frequently. And then he talked some more. The mom managed to get him to stop talking for most of the second half of the movie, but come ON. This movie simply was not the place for this child. Maybe I am just old and bitchy. The girls loved it, though - and that's all that mattered. We had dinner at a hamburger joint and spent an hour or so browsing through the bookstore. I always take them to the bookstore. They love it and never seem to get to go unless I take them. Being with them for the afternoon was exactly what I needed. We laughed, we talked, we took silly pictures. It was perfect and I am rejuvenated - full of their energy and love.

On another Harry note, I finished Deathly Hallows and am simply bursting at the seams wanting to talk about it. Have you finished it?!? Let me know so we can dish. I loved it! And I am so very sad it is the end.

By the way, have you seen Details magazine? You should.

Labels:



4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad that you were able to get out, have some fun and most of all, regroup. It's amazing what laughter can do for the psyche. I will call soon to set up some dinner arrangements. I hope all of you are doing well.

Leann

Blogger Kizz said...

I finished Deathly Hallows so dish away!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finished it one week after I got it. Read it off and on the first day I could, which was the day after it came out, then each night after work until Friday night... 11:30, I closed the book complete.

Glad Mr. R was feeling ok that night and you got some free time with your neices

Bat Man

Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

I'm ALMOST done - I suspect we're going to finish the book tonight. I'll announce on my blog when I'm done, then I can dish with ya!

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer