Thursday, January 11, 2007
So
Within the course of the last month or so, I've had no less than three people tell me I should write a book. Or, at minimum, a column, piece or short story. I'm completely shocked by this and overwhelmed with their enthusiasm. I love to write and have dreamed about doing so since I was a child. One of my very favorite heirlooms I passed on to Booger is a book I wrote when I was in elementary school. It was for my accelerated creative writing class (yes, GEEK, I know). We were provided a blank hardcover book to compose, hand write AND illustrate a short story. Betsie and Her Trip To Rainbowland sits proudly on Booger's bookshelf and she can tell you that I wrote it. I am very proud of it, though I have always hated the fact that we had to hand write it and couldn't type it. Looking back, OCD came at me pretty early!

I've been thinking that I might want to dabble around to see what I can come up with. I might start a separate blog to keep track of my writing in a way that I can flit around on different topics, different stories, etc. I would much prefer hand writing, and may do so....but I can actually type much faster than I can write, so the hand written stuff might be less productive.

I don't know...I never really thought I'd have the attention span for a novel, but I might be able to swing a short story. We shall see.


3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fiction writing has always been a weakness of mine. I can write essays, and I can tell a GREAT story, but I'm not really great at making stuff up.

That being said, I'll be more than happy to support you in any way that I can. It's very exciting when people start exercising their creative muscles, and I'd love to help you realize this goal...

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I meant, a great story about something that actually HAPPENED to me - or someone I know - or about something I saw or heard....

Blogger organic mama said...

I guess you won't really know until to you do it, eh? You love writing, and you're good at it, so bonne chance. I believe I am in a similar place right now, so I may also be talking to myself when I say GO FOR IT!!

Writing fiction is what I am dancing on the edges of - mostly I am blocked by my fear of writing rubbish, but I am determined to get out of my own way. May I be a nudge for you? (Yiddish term for one who needles) Count me in on the cheerleading squad!

Finally, have you read Bird by Bird?

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer