Wednesday, April 11, 2007
Ten Things
I know I've been neglecting you, my friends. I seem to be suffering a bit of...well, not writer's block, because there are many stories to tell. I just can't put my thoughts into proper sentences or something. Anyway, it doesn't matter because I get to do a ten things list!

This week, I think I'll go literary since I spent an hour or so yesterday purging my bookshelves. 2 large boxes are by the door for a trip to the used bookstore. It is funny how there are some books that I simply can't and won't part with.

Instead of listing 10 favorites, which I don't think I can do....I'm going to list 10 I found on the shelves that I still need to read. In no particular order.

1. The Curious Incident of the Dog In The Nightime - Mark Haddon
2. Eragon - Christopher Paolini
3. Eldest - Christopher Paolini
4. The Constant Gardener - John LeCarre
5. The Celestine Prophecy - James Redfield
6. The Hours - Michael Cunningham
7. The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck (I think I read it in High School, but can't remember)
8. Tell No One - Harlan Coben
9. A Map of the World - Jane Hamilton
10. Moneyball - Michael Lewis

These are just the first ones I came to that I haven't read. Have you read them? Are they great or snoozers? Many are old that were shoved in the back and all dusty!

Mrs. Chili, is it proper to simply italicize the title, or should it be underlined?

Labels:



2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Snob, if we're talking old rules, you should underline. My thinking, though, is that anything that sets the title apart is appropriate, so you don't get any points off for italicizing. (I'm italicizing here because Blogger won't allow the HTML tag for underlinging...)

I've read The Curious Incident and enjoyed it very much. My husband read Eragon to the girls - and got most of the way through Eldest before it had to be brought back to the library - and they enjoyed it.

The Grapes of Wrath was what turned me off of Steinbeck forever - you couldn't PAY me to read that book again, but that's just ME; I have a friend who thinks it's one of the all-time greats, so there you go. I've not read any of the others on your list, nor have I heard of A Map of the World or Moneyball. Give me reviews when you're done with them, please.

I'm in the midst of Hearts in Atlantis by Stephen King. When I'm done with that, I'm moving on to The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri (recommended by O'Mama).

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say toss the old rules (that require underlining). It seems the old rules were created before italics became so universally accessible (with computers); italics just make sense. The newspaper world's "old rule" would require quote marks, but that's not as clear as italics, and like I said, italics are most clear, I think.

I agree, The Grapes of Wrath: ugh.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer